Pollution Prevention is the use of processes, practices, materials, products or energy that reduce or eliminate waste at the source by modifying production processes, promoting the use of non-toxic or less toxic substances, implementing conservative techniques, and reusing materials rather than putting them into the waste stream.
Pollution Prevention targets reduction at source by means of any practices which:
- reduces the amount of any hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant entering any waste stream or otherwise released into the environment (including fugitive emissions) prior to recycling, treatment, or disposal; and
- reduces the hazards to public health and the environment associated with the release of such substances, pollutants, or contaminants.
Pollution Prevention is part of an ongoing pollution management approach that is comprised of prevention, control and clean-up. It is a key component of environmental protection and sustainable development.
LAW Environmental Consultants offers numerous services to assist organizations in the development and implementation of innovative pollution prevention plans, techniques and principles. Implementing a pollution prevention plan benefits industries in numerous ways, some are:
- minimizes or avoids the creation of pollutants;
- avoids the transfer of pollutants from one medium to another;
- accelerates the reduction and/or elimination of pollutants;
- promotes the development of pollution prevention technologies;
- uses energy, materials and resources, more efficiently;
- minimizes the need for costly enforcement;
- limits future liability with greater certainty;
- avoids costly cleanup in the future; and
- promotes a more competitive economy
For more information, please visit the Environment Canada website on pollution prevention: ec.gc.ca
We are here to discuss potential cost savings in incorporating pollution prevention in your facility operations.